×

Warning

Error loading component: com_tags, Component not found.

Luckily I haven’t repeated burning the IC again and have a working prototype since the last post! That’s the good news, but there is also some sort of bad news which I’ll go into later.

The origin of the project

The original idea for this project was to have a cheap driver for my girlfriend’s companion cube lights, and then of course, my mind started thinking of some of the possibilities, what if it could run from a single AAA battery and power it all (the micro and neopixels), make it customisable so it can be programmed via USB, and the list went on. I floated some of the ideas with my girlfriend and we realised that we might be able to sell the boards. We could also use it for some of our costumes and a costume tail she’s being trying to sell. On one of my long commutes to work, I finally started into some of the ideas and thus this project actually started. One of the main elements of this project was also something of an unknown for me; this would be my first board where I had to handle the power supply and not just by using LDOs (low drop out regulators) as that wouldn’t work in this case.